Thursday, December 15, 2011

Introduction

One of my very favorite Broadway producers (Ken Davenport) came up with a novel idea:  He started a blog and wrote about his day to day production activities in Godspell.  It was very educational and an absolute pleasure to read.

I’d like to do the same thing with my show.  Only there’s one difference.  Ken is a Broadway producer.  My show is going up at Atlantic Stage 2 which is a 99 seat theater in Chelsea.  I have to work within budget constraints that Broadway doesn’t worry about, so the advice in this blog is a lot more applicable to productions of that scale.  So if you want to produce a show, and you don’t have tons of cash  – you’ve come to the right place.

But before I begin, a little background on what we're doing.  It’s a new play called A Hole In His Heart, and it’s written by yours truly.  We're opening January 20th, 2012 and performances will be held at Atlantic Stage 2 on 330 West 16th Street.

I’ll do my best to update this blog on a daily basis.  I’ll talk about marketing, development, casting, contracts, wardrobe, and anything else you can think of.  In particular, I’ll spend a lot of time on marketing (as I feel that this is one area that off-off-Broadway can really improve upon).  And if there’s a particular topic you’d like me to write about, please feel free to email or post it in the comments section.

No comments:

Post a Comment