Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Make it good

I've been told that the mark of a good producer is in his attention to detail.  And it’s true.  I spend a lot of time worrying about frivolous things.  I over analyze everything.  If a press release is a day late I get upset.  If I don’t book the theater for the exact dates I want I get upset.  And those blue suede shoes that I bought for the wardrobe?  They better match the pants perfectly or I’m going to be upset. 

Attention to detail is a good thing.  But sometimes you can get so caught up with it that you forget the most important thing:  make the show good.  As in the writing needs to be good, and the acting needs to be good.  At the end of the day – that’s why people come to the theater.  If someone complements me on how nice the set is (or how beautiful the clothes were) then I’ll consider the show a failure.  Because if the set stood out over the writing and the acting then we have a serious problem.

So all these details like “what time of the years is best to open,” or “how should I word the press invitations” – give them due thought, but it’s far more important to make the show good.  Good shows survive and bad shows die.  Period.

Remember, you can produce a hundred mediocre plays and get nowhere in this business.  But produce one hit and you’ll be remembered forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment