Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Memorize your lines

I remember watching one of those “Inside the Actor’s Studio” interviews, and they were talking to Al Pacino.  They had asked him if he had any advice for all the young actors out there.  His response:  “Yeah, memorize your lines.”  Everyone of course laughed their behinds off, but I think he wasn’t joking.

As I continue to rehearse, I’m constantly reminded of one thing:  memorize your lines.  And I don’t mean half-memorized, I mean front and back.  It’ll help you work with a minimal amount of tension – always a good thing for an actor to do.  It also lets you concentrate on other things like doing an action, listening to your scene partner, using a piece of yourself, etc etc.

Talent is talent, and some have it in larger doses than others.  But everyone can have their lines memorized.

No comments:

Post a Comment